My Journey with 21Day Fix

21DayFix, Everyone is talking about, and your wondering, what the heck is it?!
I've been doing the 21 Day Fix since I was 6 weeks postpartum with my baby. He was born January 26th, 2015.

For anyone that personally knows me, I've always been a bit of a health nut, focusing on nutrition, working out, wanting to be fit and stay in shape while being a big  runner.  Well after reading into the 21 Day Fix and becoming a 'Coach" so that I could keep myself accountable and help others I realized I was really lacking in the nutrition department! I would workout and run, but as soon as I got into the Kitchen, forget it. I would eat a good breakfast, snacks and lunch. As soon as it hit 3:00 or once I got home from work I would eat mindlessly, fill up crackers, breads, cheese, chocolate, some cookies or goldfish. I always thought Oh sure I worked out this morning and ate good most of the day,  I deserve to eat some cookies and half a box of crackers. 

Uhhh..totally wrong!! I never saw the results I wanted in myself and the muscle definition based on the amount of working out I did. It only took me 29 years to figure that one out! I guess I always assumed I was eating enough, and the right amount of healthy foods, but man was I wrong.

The 21 Day Fix seriously has changed the way I eat! and my husband is starting to change his habits too. 21DF comes with the easiest meal plan ever and it makes total sense. It comes with these color coded boxes and you do a simple math calculation to figure out how many boxes you eat in a day.

Green=Veggies
Purple=Fruit
Red=Protien
Yellow=Carbohydrates/starch
Blue=healthy fats(almonds, avacados, cheeses etc)
Orange=salad dressings/oils

How easy is that?! Based on my caloric needs, with working out AND breastfeeding a baby I needed 4 greens, 3 purples, 4 reds, 3 yellows, 1 blue, 1 orange, and 4 Tablespoons of nut butters OR oil for cooking.

I realized I wasn't eating nearly enough protein and overdosing on the carbs(I am married to an Italian Chef afterall, I love pasta and bread!)
Here is a list of what I normally eat for each container. Note* (I'm a creature of HABIT! I like the same thing!)

Green:
Mixed salad greens
Green Beans
Brussel Sprouts
Carrots
Peppers (red, yellow orange)
Celery
Tomatoes

Purple:
Strawberries
Bananas
Apples
Cantalope
Grapes

Red:
Eggs and more eggs!
Chicken
Chicken Sausage
Lean Ground beef (homegrown on my farm)
Tempeh
Shakeology! >>>>This seriously gives me what I need to make it through my afternoon!
*I Like Turkey Burgers every now and then for convenience!

Yellow:
Sweet Potatoes
Brown Rice
Quinua
Whole-Wheat Bread
Oatmeal
Steal-cut oats
Pasta

Blue:
Almonds
Avocado
Cheese
Hummus

Orange:
Salad dressings made with vinegar, oil and herbs/spices.

Since doing this program I have noticed a HUGE difference in my muscle definition, my energy levels and my overall physical and mental state! I always felt bloated before and I think one reason why was all the carbs I was eating! I realized you can still enjoy your carbs, just need to watch the amount.

Going back to work last week it has been a STRUGGLE to get my workouts in daily! Last week I managed 3 workouts, so this week I am aiming for 4.  It has been a hard adjustment and leaving my little guy just isn't fun!
So for all you mommas out there; I feel you! It ain't easy to work full time, take care of a baby(ies) and focus on your health.  Luckily my eating habits are changed for the better and I am able to focus on that even if I don't get my workouts in; that alone makes me feel so much better.

I have lost the majority of my 30lbs of my babyweight, and feel stronger than ever before. 
And as most people ask me, what happens after 21 days? Well, a newly formed habit of eating and working out for the rest of your life!
And NO, I do not DIET! I eat wholesome, clean foods. Nothing processed! You are what you eat! Feeling your best is 80% what you put in it and 20% of working out. Fuel that body with goodness!
BEFORE

After ( I still have a ways to go but I'm making small gains!)
Meal Prep!

It takes 21 Days to form a habit so what new habit are you forming?!

Comments

A few of my favorite things

Pinterest

Popular Posts