Recap Friday!

Hey all!

So I just wanted to do a little re-cap Friday of my current weight-loss/get fit journey.

Lets recap a bit
  • 2011 I was in a bit of a depressive state from a terrible break up. I was unhealthy, too skinny and needed something more in my life. 
  • I started running. Consistently. For therapy. In the past it was always for staying in shape for a sport. 
  • And I just kept running...I remember sucking wind HARD the first run and barely made it 2 miles. But I kept going. Something happened those first few runs and I felt ALIVE. And I hadn't felt like that in a long time. I think my heart started beating for the first time in a L-O-N-G time after that first run and I wanted more and more of it. 
  • I signed up for my first marathon about 6 months later-totally balls-y but I wanted it. I trained and was so proud of myself but I really didn't know anything!
  • Race day came. The first few hours were a bit overcast, but then boom, the sun came out and it was HUMID.  I made it too mile 20 and started feeling so nauseous, my legs felt like bricks. I'm pretty sure with the heat and humid I wasn't drinking enough and I hit the wall. HARD. I started slowing down because I felt so ill, and all of a sudden the next thing I know, I was on the ground throwing up and crying. The medics came and I kept telling them I was fine and that I had to finish this thing even if I crawled.  I told them to get my brothers at the finish and they would walk with me. Someone threw a banana at me and I think I ate it and then puked it up right there on someones lawn....And then they put me in a truck with puke stuck to my face and salty sweat in my eyes to the Med Tent; I had to get a few IV's because I was so dehydrated. My dad sat with me and I cried some more, and the girl next too me had her medal and it made me cry even more....I had failed. Well I felt I had failed but too look back now, I learned a great lesson; my body hates heat! and I WILL NEVER drink Gatorade again! and I lost my big toe, toenail, but it grew back; no biggie...
  • 1 month later I signed up for a Fall Marathon, I trained harder, got smarter and practiced my hydration to a T. I ran my first full and COMPLETED it in 3:45:57. once I got past the 20 mile mark I kept tearing up and feeling like I was going to hyperventilate. But I kicked my own a** and said Kaitlin; you're going to finish this thing so stop blatting! Like everyone says; Crossing that finish line will change your life. It changed mine. Completely.  I remember my Mom shouting to me "YOU DID IT YOU DID IT YOU DID IT, and running that last little bit with me; I still cry just thinking about it. 
  • I again signed up for the VCM in May with the wanting to qualify for Boston. I trained even harder and did some speed work. (This was all while finishing my Masters degree and working two jobs mind you!) It was a rainy day when I woke up and I thought: PERFECT. I had just gotten engaged a few weeks before, to be married about a month later and I thought damn, qualifying for Boston would just top it all.  I remember not starting my time right; and was off the entire way, but I felt on FIRE. and just kept going at my pace.  When I finally got close to the finish line, I had no idea what my exact time was and the clock said that I missed my time; but I knew that wasn't my exact time so I kept going. And I ran my 2nd Full in 3:37:09. I missed Boston by 2 minutes. 2 MINUTES. I WILL get there one day.
  • Then I got married, got a new job, moved to a new apartment, and kept running. No fulls though I felt a little burnt, I ran the VCM half with my husband in May of 2014, we each ran a half.  It felt weird to only run half, but it felt nice too; not as much pressure.  I remember feeling really hot and wanting to walk at every stop, so I did. I don't remember my exact time, but ours combined we finished under 4:00. I was pumped. I had felt funny all week and my boobs had been killing me so I thought Maybe there is something more too this! That next day I found out I was pregnant with our first child! What a blessing!
  • I ran throughout my pregnancy, until I was 35 weeks to be exact; then it just got damn cold through the winter. I ran some smaller races while pregnant even and felt great; it was who I was. I gave birth to a healthy, beautiful baby boy and I know keeping in shape made my labor go as smoothly as it did; only pushing for a half hour! and out he came!
  • When my 6 weeks came up insert Beachbody. It was still cold outside from a freezing winter and I lost a massive amount of my muscle from the pregnancy (it happens!) so I signed up to be a coach to share my journey with others so I could be held accountable.  I knew that if I worked hard to put my muscle back on running would come back in time. 
  • And here I am 3.5 months postpartum! I have SERIOUS muscle from doing rounds of the 21 Day Fix which helped me really fine tune my nutrition. I lost the majority of my baby weight, and about 8 inches overall.  I know those last few pounds will stick around because I am nursing and am totally fine with that!
  • Now that the snow is gone I have been able to get out and run more; pushing a stroller with the little guy because it doesn't feel right if I don't have him with me. I can run about 3-3.5 and its awesome! I KNOW by focusing on my nutrition and building my muscle I can run that mileage easily. Maybe a fall marathon on the horizon?!! Ha! I don't know about that, but I do know that I feel back in peace with my body and trusting the process has brought me here. 
So that's my journey, and I am still on it; wanting to stay in shape for my little man and to show others that just because your Mom, you don't need to sacrifice your health, trust the process, work hard and commit yourself.  You will be happy you did!

Anyone run through their pregnancy?
How did it go?
Any of you Mom's out there want some support? Send me an e-mail I'd love to help you!

Happy Friday All, keep it real. Work Hard. Trust the Process. Peace. Love. Smiles.
39 weeks pregnant

3.5 months  postpartum

Comments

A few of my favorite things

Pinterest

Popular Posts