Healthier twist on Green Bean Casserole

Green Bean Casserole has ALWAYS been one of my favorites during the Holidays; I always remember helping my Momma make it and sneaking those French Fried Onions! HA, cuz duh, they are super delicious, but not so super on the healthy side.

If you have been reading my blog and following my FB page you know that I have really been into the Whole30 way of cooking; and I've been using many of their recipes.
One of my brothers (I happen to have 5 of them) was not home for Thanksgiving (He works on a large oil tanker so he's only home so many weeks every few months) and had to leave this past Tuesday SO we had a big Merry Thanksgiving before he left again. I thought what a perfect time to try this recipe and see if its a keeper!

*This recipe looks like it is a lot of work; but it truly isn't, don't be intimidated by all the directions!

Green Beans with fig Vinaigrette
Source; Whole30

Serves 4-6
Total Time; 30 minutes

Fig Vinaigrette
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1 clove garlic
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced thyme leaves
1/4 cup dried figs, finely chopped about 6 or 7 figs ( I had small ones!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Whisk together vinegars, mustard powder, and garlic, continue to whisk while slowly drizzling in the olive oil. Stir in the fits and thyme and season with salt and pepper.

****I cooked TRIPLE the amount of beans that were called for in this recipe (and I used frozen...sorry its all I had!) and I STILL had vinaigrette left over (I did not double or anything, made as is), and still do actually; it makes great salad dressing sauce for cooked veggies****

Green Beans
1 lb of green beans (I used about 3)
2 tablespoons cooking fat (I used about 5 because of my amount)
1/4 cup slivered almonds(I also tripled this amount)

Melt cooking fat in large skillet over medium-high heat swirling to coach the bottom of the pan( I used Ghee) When fat is hot, add the slivered almonds and toast for 30 seconds, shaking the pan often so they don't burn. Remove the almons from the pan and reserve.
Add the green beans tossing to coat in the cooking fat.
Cook, shaking the pan often, until the beans are crisp tender, about 5-6 minutes (I would taste them to see)

Transfer the beans to a serving dish, sprinkle on the toasted almonds, and drizzle lightly with 1/4 cup vinaigrette (add more if desired, a little goes a long way). Toss until evenly dressed.
Serve and enjoy!

I REALLY, REALLY think I am going to do a round of the Whole 30 once the New Year comes!
Anyone want to join me?! It is ONLY 30 days! The time will pass anyway!


Comments

A few of my favorite things

Pinterest

Popular Posts