I WENT TO GRAD SCHOOL--TO BE A STAY AT HOME MOM?!


My Three Little Loves
Hey Mommas! Happy Thursday! 

I spent most of my high-school years knowing that I wanted to be a teacher--and not just any teacher but a Special Education Teacher. Babysitting was my first job (hello I had 5 brothers, 4 of them being younger, but lets be honest I had to keep my oldest brother in line too), I had my first 'official' paid job in the 8th grade and I was pretty proud of that. I never had to go out and get a job for all of HS because I had babysitting jobs lined up like what--I guess it was only natural that I felt called to the teaching profession. 

I went to undergrad for teaching and later earned my M.Ed in Early Childhood Special Education. I worked in the school systems in my county for 11 years and after last year (2017) of working only part time I handed in my resignation. 

Now WHY on earth would I do such a thing?! I"m STILL paying for my undergrad degree so what the what?! 

I became a Momma--thats what. And I have to be honest I felt really conflicted about it for a while---because I felt that I was SUPPOSED to be a teacher, AND a mom. I felt that was what society was pressuring me to do--that I would be less of a person if I wasn't playing teacher and MOM. 
Don't get me wrong I loved my little kiddos and teaching felt very natural to me but I felt burnt out--it wasn't exciting for me anymore. SO I prayed about it and left and I haven't looked back. 

What I realized was that I can't have it all. I can't be a teacher AND the Mom I want to be RIGHT NOW(we will let the future figure that out) Some people can do both and that's awesome! But for me, it wasn't working and it took me a while to realize that I had to be OK with feeling that way. For a while I felt I HAD to do it because I spent 7 years of my life learning to be 'Teacher.' Has anyone told you, you don't have to do anything you don't want too?! ;)  

Don't get me wrong, my years of schooling and years of behavior intervention served me well; and I know I"m a better mom because of it--

At the time I was in Grad school I could not predict my future---I was literally doing the next best thing --and for me that was bettering myself so I could better the kiddos I came in contact with. 

Now as Mom, I'm doing the next best thing. I try not to think about tomorrow, or a week from now, or the messy house. I look at my babes and say yup--this is the life for me, for right now that is!

Any of my Momma's out there leave a big job to stay home and play Mom?! (cuz its easier right?!) HA!

XO, 

Kaitlin 

Comments

A few of my favorite things

Pinterest

Popular Posts